Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Is it Friday yet?

I can't believe it is only Wednesday, what a crazy week! I think it always feels like that after a break.

Jojo was Mr. Giggles at therapy today. It is so nice to see him like that since he is soooo serious most of the time. Jenny is started to be a little tougher on him when it comes to clarity. She is not letting him get away with not hearing EVERY sound in a word anymore. We are thrilled how much he is starting to talk......lots of phrases and some sentences now. It is also very frustrating because unless it's a single word or short phrase, we are having lots of trouble understanding him. Oh, it is so hard because I ask him to repeat himself a few times and then he is frustrated, and all the while he is looking at you knowing you don't understand him. Yesterday it was Lucky Charms he wanted and I heard "icky eems" over and over again. Today he was sitting on the step by the front door while I was getting my things ready to go. Instead of sitting on the step he wanted to wait on the rug. He said "on a ug" And while in a hurry to get out the door this morning it took a couple of minutes to figure out what he was trying to tell me. I am NOT complaining, yes it is better than him not speaking like before, however it is very time consuming and frustrating and another obstacle to overcome. The encouraging part is that his single words are getting more clear, so there is hope!!!

Yesterday when we were leaving Beaumont we walked by a lady near the entrance of the building and he said "scooze me" A two year old with such wonderful manners, I had to share!! It is nice to hear some of the things that go on in that little head!!! We passed my friend's parents house where I drop their daughter off after school and Jojo recognized it and said, "who dat house mommy?" He also has started yelling out "somebody help me!" once he is in bed for the night and does it every once and awhile until he falls asleep. No tears, just waits patiently for someone to fall for it! There is another story from yesterday at therapy, but it involves poop and wouldn't be nice to share. (it is funny though!)

Jojo has his first dentist appointment tomorrow. I have tried twice before and both times have had to cancel because he was sick. He is not sick all that often so that was an odd coincidence. I have a couple of concerns about his teeth. One of which is his tooth enamel is visibly worn away and his teeth almost have a translucent look on the edges. Since he has such bad GERD maybe that is why. We shall see.

Well our homework for this week is working on "W" sound again!! Also he is having trouble blending the "Y" sound "you" is "ooo" and blowing his air out for an "H" instead of "hat" he says "at" We also have to remind him not to drop those beginning consonants and other sounds. He cannot pronounce "L" or "R" yet so those words are still difficult to understand. "right here" sounds like "ite ah" but in the right context may be understood by others. He did some great work this week!

No comments: