Monday, January 19, 2009

Daddy's turn again!!!

Since Daddy had today off, he took Jojo to therapy again! That gave me the opportunity to finally take Dominic sledding, he had been asking for so long!

Jojo worked on putting the "w" on the beginning of words as well as some 2-3 word phrases. Daddy said that Miss Jenny said he did a "wonderful job" today! He played Dora the explorer bingo and did his work on his Kaufman cards.

I was glad he did so well at therapy today, because I had been a tiny bit discouraged over the past 3 or 4 days. He would almost constantly use his famous go-to phrase "a-dah" anytime he wanted anything or was trying to get somebody's attention. He would also use this response anytime that I would ask him a question or ask him to make a choice. He would also say Mama when he wanted something and then when I would ask him what he would say "a-dah." Hungry, scared, hurt, looking for something?.........I had no clue and wow is that frustrating! He says "mama" and "a-dah" almost like a question if you could imagine that. "mama?" It is heartbreaking because his eyes are pleading for me to understand or help him. I kept saying to Dave, "what is going on with him?" The only way to deal with it is to ask him question to get to a yes or no and then keep going from there. The longer this goes on the more frustrated he becomes. I keep telling him, please Jojo use your words........An example of his communication is to bring me his cup of juice after he takes a drink and he says, "mama?" Well I know now that he wants me to go put his juice on the counter for him or hold it for him. But all we get is "mama." His therapists say just keep giving him a cue or even ask him a question. Maybe to say, "oh, Jojo you want me to hold your juice for you?" "Tell Mommy hold juice please." Then hopefully he will say at least a part of that phrase. I do have to say Dominic understands him incredibly well. When something is very unclear to me, Dominic will tell me what he said without hesitation.

That being said, today he seems a little better, I think......The words and phrases he is saying are getting more clear so that is encouraging.

No comments: